Rugby Scarf in the colours of
Ebbw Vale RFC
Out of stock
Nickname: The Steelmen
Ground: Eugene Cross Park
There is plenty of evidence of rugby union being played in Ebbw Vale around 1879 and it is believed that Ebbw Vale RFC was founded in that year, however the club only applied for membership of the Welsh Rugby in 1893.
In the early part of the twentieth century Ebbw Vale switched codes to play professional rugby league and the club, its players and members were all suspended from rugby union activities by the Welsh Rugby Union. The Rugby League Club collapsed in 1912 and Ebbw Vale were readmitted as a union team after the First World War.
The clubâ€™s home colours of green, white and red are the colours of the Welsh national flag â€“ although there is a suggestion that they were selected by former chairman Dai Regan Jones who had played in those colours for Leicester Tigers.
Today the club is a feeder club for the Newport Gwent Dragons.